Based on the Oxford English dictionary, the definition of spiritual is as follows:
“Relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.”
This means that anything that is related to the soul is spiritual (Spirituality) and anything that is related to the physical body is material (Materialism). Material or physical things are temporary and thus the soul must be eternal.
Spirituality is that which is concerned with the eternal. Materialism is that which is concerned with the temporary.
- To believe that this is the first and/or the only life is material consciousness
- To believe that we never existed before this life is material consciousness
- To believe that we are the body (dust) is material consciousness
- The desire to go to heaven and enjoy beautiful women/men is material consciousness
- Anything related to the body is material consciousness
- Matter is material
- Anything that is created or has a beginning/founding is temporary (material), because it will be destroyed in due course by that which is eternal, time
- To believe that we are eternal is spiritual consciousness
- To believe that we exited before this life and will continue to exist after this life is spiritual consciousness
- To believe that we are the soul which is eternal and not the body which is temporary, is spiritual consciousness
- The desire to go to the spiritual creation is spiritual consciousness
- Anything related to the soul is spiritual consciousness
- Anti-matter is spiritual
- Time is eternal, anything related to the eternal is spiritual
- Sanatan-Dharma means Eternal Religion, it’s eternal and thus spiritual
“Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A self-realized soul is not bewildered by such a change.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 2.12-13)
“The living entities in this conditioned world are My eternal fragmental parts. Due to conditioned life, they are struggling very hard with the six senses, which include the mind.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 15.7)
“You are the supreme primal objective. You are the ultimate resting place of all this universe. You are inexhaustible, and You are the oldest. You are the maintainer of the eternal religion, the Personality of Godhead. This is my opinion.” (Arjuna to Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 11.18)
If one wants to be spiritual then one must follow, Sanatan-Dharma.
No Spirituality Outside Sanatan-Dharma
Outside Sanatan-Dharma, there is no spirituality, because they believe that this is the first life and the living entity is the physical body and not the soul. They believe that the soul and body are one.
The Bhagavad-Gita teaches that the living entity is the soul and not the body. The soul and the body are two entities, the soul is eternal (spiritual) and the body is temporary (material).