What is Purity?
Purity is measured by the actions taken by a person. This includes behavior with everyone.
“The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Fearlessness; puriﬁcation of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacriﬁce; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to faultﬁnding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor – these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 16.1-3)
All the above means the following from a practical life perspective:
One does not become pure just by visiting holy places. One does not become pure just by chanting mantras. One does not become pure just by performing Pujas. One does not become pure just by reading the scriptures.
One must practice what they read, show and say by actions:
- A pure person will always speak the truth, stand up for the truth, and side with the truth. Keep your word, never mislead or cheat anyone.
- A pure person will be charitable according to the best of his/her capacity.
- A pure person will always work for the well being of others, including the animals.
- A pure person has given up sinful activities of taking alcohol, drugs, gambling, outside marriage relationships, animal killing (meat eating).
- A pure person does not have a wicked mentality. Don’t do onto others what you wouldn’t want done to you. You wouldn’t work for nothing, why should others work for nothing? You have to eat, others also have to eat. You want the maximum price for your items, others also want the maximum price from you. You wouldn’t give anything free to others. Why should others give you free?
- A pure person treats everyone nicely.
- A pure person sees the good in others and not just the bad.
- A pure person takes the good values from others and leaves the bad ones.
- A pure person will always serve others.
- A pure person will always be humble. Knowledge is not limited to what you know. Your way is not the only way for everyone. You have different abilities, so does everyone else.
- A pure person is free from pride and personal ego. Every hour, set your ego and pride meter to 0.
- A pure person never looks down on others.
- A pure person sees everyone with equal vision, but at the same time realize the differences which are caused by ignorance.
- A pure person never curses anyone.
- A pure person is always grateful for the good others have done for him. Even if one gives you one grain of rice, never forget it.
- A pure person will forgive and forget the mistakes of others.
- A pure person is not materialistic, has no interest in sight seeing.
- A pure person knows God as a Person, realizes that God is everywhere and always thinks of Him and works to spread His instructions.