The Main Qualities of a Spiritual Master (Prophet of God)
- He is completely free from lust. He is a sanyasi.
- He is completely free from violence.
- He is friendly to all living beings, even to the animals (pure vegetarian).
- He can describe God in full.
- He knows the pastimes of God.
- He believes in justice of all living beings (Law of Karma).
- He believes in free will. Freedom of thought, expression, and beliefs.
- He is tolerant, and merciful to all. He does not curse anyone.
- He follows the scriptures and quotes from them.
“The symptoms of a sadhu are that he is tolerant, merciful and friendly to all living entities. He has no enemies, he is peaceful, he abides by the scriptures, and all his characteristics are sublime.” (Srimad Bhagavatam 3.25)
“A sober person who can tolerate the urge to speak, the mind’s demands, the actions of anger and the urges of the tongue, belly and genitals is qualified to make disciples all over the world.” (Nectar of Instruction 1)
Anyone who claims to be a spiritual master, must exhibit the above mentioned qualities. If they cannot, they must be rejected.