THE MAIN QUALITIES OF A GENUINE SPIRITUAL MASTER
- He is completely free from lust.
- He is completely free from violence.
- He is friendly to all living beings, even to the animals (he does not kill them).
- He can describe God and His pastimes.
- He orders justice for all living beings.
- He does not force anyone.
- He is humble, forgiving, and merciful to all. He does not incite hatred towards any living being.
- He is tolerant and kind to all. He wants every living entity to get liberation.
- He loves everyone.
- He follows the scriptures and quotes from them.
- His behavior is a role model for all to follow.
“The symptoms of a sadhu are that he is tolerant, merciful and friendly to all living entities. He has no enemies, he is peaceful, he abides by the scriptures, and all his characteristics are sublime.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.21)
“A sober person who can tolerate the urge to speak, the mind’s demands, the actions of anger and the urges of the tongue, belly and genitals is qualified to make disciples all over the world.” (Nectar of Instruction, text 1)
“The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: O Uddhava, a saintly person is merciful and never injures others. Even if others are aggressive he is tolerant and forgiving toward all living entities.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.11.29)
Based on Sanatan-Dharma standards. A genuine spiritual master, will exhibit all the above mentioned qualities.
Are you following a Qualified Spiritual Master?