What is Spirituality?
Spiritual and Material Consciousness
Spirituality is that which is concerned with the eternal. Materialism is that which is concerned with the temporary.
- To believe that this is the first and/or the only life is material consciousness
- To believe that we never existed before this life is material consciousness
- To believe that we are the body (dust) is material consciousness
- The desire to go to heaven and enjoy beautiful women/men is material consciousness
- Anything related to the body is material consciousness
- Matter is material
- Anything that is created or has a beginning/founding is temporary (material), because it will be destroyed in due course by that which is eternal, time
- To believe that we are eternal is spiritual consciousness
- To believe that we exited before this life and will continue to exist after this life is spiritual consciousness
- To believe that we are the soul which is eternal and not the body which is temporary, is spiritual consciousness
- The desire to go to the spiritual creation is spiritual consciousness
- Anything related to the soul is spiritual consciousness
- Anti-matter is spiritual
- Time is eternal, anything related to eternality is spiritual
- Sanatan-Dharma means Eternal Religion, it’s eternal and thus spiritual
“Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A self-realized soul is not bewildered by such a change.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 2.12-13)
“The living entities in this conditioned world are My eternal fragmental parts. Due to conditioned life, they are struggling very hard with the six senses, which include the mind.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 15.7)
“You are the supreme primal objective. You are the ultimate resting place of all this universe. You are inexhaustible, and You are the oldest. You are the maintainer of the eternal religion, the Personality of Godhead. This is my opinion.” (Arjuna to Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 11.18)
If one wants to be spiritual then one must follow the eternal path, Sanatan-Dharma.